I am a professor and the chair of the political science department at the Université de Montréal . In 2008, I was a guest professor at the Université catholique de Louvain-la-Neuve.
I completed a Ph.D. in comparative and Canadian public policy at McMaster University in 1999. My current research centres on policy in Europe and North America within domains requiring scientific knowledge (notably biotechnology) ; on the role of experts in these domains; on policy learning and, more generally, on disagreements generated by the making of policy choices. My past research includes environmental policy comparisons. I have received research funding from the Social Sciences and Humanities Research Council of Canada (SSHRC) and the Fonds québécois de recherche sur la société et la culture (FQRSC).
In 2006, my book, Misplaced Distrust, won the American Political Science Association’s Lynton Keith Caldwell Prize for the best book on environmental politics and policy.
- Are Interprovincial Relations Becoming More Important than Federal-Provincial Ones? (October 2012), by Federal News. in
- Canadian Federalism and Change in Policy Attention: A Comparison with the United Kingdom, (September 2012), by Canadian Journal of Political Science. and Martial Foucault in the
- Network Deliberations, Advocacy Groups, and the Legitimacy of the European Union, (June 2012), by in Regulating Next Generation Agri-Food Biotechnologies, Howlett and Laycock eds (Routledge).
- Does Holding Beliefs with Conviction Prevent Policy Actors from Adopting a Compromising Attitude?, (October 2012), by Political Studies. in
- Conference at the Johnson-Shoyama Graduate School of Public Policy, University of Saskatchewan (February 1st, 2013): Magnified Disagreement: the Media Coverage of Biotechnology Policy-Making Versus Its Practice.
- Interview given to Marie-Andrée Chouinard, le Devoir (January 5, 2013) “À la recherche du politicien idéal: sommes-nous trop exigeants?“.
- Article on mayor Ferrandez La Presse (March 20, 2012). Click to read.
- Interview given to Planète terre (November 4, 2011). The interview was on scientific disagreements. Click to view.
- Interview given to the newspaper le Devoir (November 5, 2011) “Au temps du cynisme: La société québécoise et occidentale vit une phase creuse“.